Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Classroom Management and the Learning Theories

Unless you're teaching preschool or kindergarten- and I'm not- students are going to have expectations; expectations about the material, the tests, and about how the class is run. For example, most teachers don't tolerate raised voices and yelling in the class, and so students will assume that you too will not tolerate it. This is not to say, however, that students will approach a new teacher the same way they behaved around previous teachers. At the beginning of the year, students will observe you and determine how the class is going to be run.


Through observing their behavior, using BLT, as a teacher I will determine what my student's expectations- their schemas- are for my behavior and classroom management. This is important because if my style of running a class doesn't fit into what they are used to, I will have to assimilate my management into what they're used to. If they are accustomed to a teacher who will ask a question, and then immediately answer it for students, I will have to slowly get them used to my method of waiting at least 10 seconds and giving students time to answer a question.

No comments:

Post a Comment